I know my blogging has been a little quieter as of late. It isn’t because I have run out of things to show and share, but more because I “had an idea”. Sometimes having an idea is dangerously time-consuming, which is exactly what has happened.
It all started with an idea for a stitched piece followed by a 5 second sketch on a sticky note. Some how this sticky note spoke to me a said “Let’s do this one big!” As luck would have it I had a piece of cotton mordanted up and so the size of the piece was determined……..35 inches by 46 inches. This is a good size for a piece being stitched.
I started with some tying.
A dip in logwood gave me the start of the background.
I was toying with a soft light theme of dawn or dusk so I decided the pink tones of lac would work.
Into the dye pot a second tying went.
The result was…….pink. So far so good.
It was then time to think about stitching thread. I had a large hank of silk thread sitting untouched since the fall. It had been sitting untouched as I really needed to roll it to make it more manageable and not tangle. I knew rolling would be a chore. I was right, but I did it anyway. Two hours later (and numerous knots) The silk thread was rolled.
Then an afternoon dye session of threads took place.
It was then time to tackle the main piece. I started by masking off the areas I wanted dark and applied cutch dye.
I then proceeded with an iron wash.
Once the piece was washed and dried I had softer tones to work on for the background for the stitching.
The hours of stitching then began.
This piece is still in its beginning stages with so much more work to be done. An unbelievable amount of work. It is interesting to see stitching on such a large piece of fabric (35 x 46 inches), I just hope I can keep up the dedication and see the piece through to the end.