We have been having very cold weather. This morning when I woke up it was -42 C with windchill, I’d love to say this was abnormal, but this year we have seen a lot of -30 and -40 temperatures.The one good thing about brutally cold weather is you tend to spend a lot of time inside and this means time to work on projects.
This morning I decided to take inventory of the works in progress, and there are a lot.
A new painting is up on the easel and just beginning to be roughed in. Another 16×20 canvas. It seems I went on a 16×20 buying spree so there will be a few paintings of this size in the near future before I get to work on larger ones again.
I did manage to finish a canvas last week. The prettier version of it can be viewed here.
I am still experimenting with fulling swatches and seeing just how far they will shrink. Finally a good reason to do laundry!
dyed then knit – before
dyed then knit – after
The ones dyed first and then knit still have a way to go.
I am also trying dyed and then knit on a larger scale. This piece is about 15.5 inches across. Kind of a wild color combination but the yarn was dyed with another project in mind. Who would have thought natural dyes could be so bold. We’ll see what it is like when all is said and done. It is definitely not “conventional”. (Feel free to laugh!)
Of course I ended up being short 50 feet of wool for the above test piece. At 1:30 this morning another 60 feet of yarn was popped into the dye pot and dyed in pomegranate. It is almost dry now so that I can finish the knitting today.
More coffee sweaters on the go. These are becoming a lot of fun to make.
I also have been experimenting with dyeing the hand-made buttons.
I am working on another fish piece. Again the fish are hand printed with natural dyes from a lino cut I made. I want to try a few different things that I didn’t try on the previous fish piece. Composition is a little different from the last one. I am planning for the beading and stitching to be quite different. I see continuing with the fish theme as a long-term possibility.
The final “work in progress” is the grain elevator. Another naturally dyed piece with beading and stitching. The tansy leaves in the piece are keeping me busy.
The next week or so should be mostly stitching and painting as I am almost flat out of the locally produced wool yarn which is now my go to for the knitted projects. Hopefully I will get an order put in today or tomorrow so that by the end of next week I will be back to the dye pots and knitting.
I also have a beaded project in mind, but I need to find my teeny tiny embroidery hoop first………it’s “somewhere”.
Photography, art, illustration, and fibre wearables & useables
by Debra Hunter
also online at: