Beading Four At A Time

beading 3In the beginning of March I naturally dyed up a batch of silk. It was dyed in strawberry, cranberry, blueberry, blackberry, marigold and turmeric. I pieced a few strips of the silk together with an idea in mind, but as the weeks went on I realized it wasn’t quite right. The piece was too big, over 4 feet long, and just awkward when it came to my original plan. Two weeks ago I had my “A-HA” moment. First I came across an exhibition looking for submissions that would suit the idea of the piece well. The next day we were leaving for the coast so I had to make an immediate game plan. I chopped the original silk piece in half, backed it, and took the piece on the trip with me with great plans to spend a lot of time working on it.  Well working on it ended up being maybe a half hour in total as things such as golf and beaches interfered with my plan.

beading 2Home I came and I realized I had to get busy as the submission date was near the end of April. Now I spend hours each day stitching and beading. I am beading four tiny seed beads at a time; the beads are 1mm in depth and 2mm in diameter. It is time-consuming work, yet peaceful in its repetitiveness at the same time. My guess is the project is nearly half way finished; it is at the stage where I can see it all coming together and know that I am on the right track. In between the beading I am natural dyeing tiny batches of silk, cotton and wool threads to be used for the stitching. It seems like everything about this piece is tiny. Tiny beads. Tiny dye batches. Teeny tiny elements all working together to make one very textured and patterned piece.

beading 1


The Effects of Water

rusted chain

This weekend we buzzed out to the Gulf Islands for Easter. Being on the coast one can’t help but think of the effects water has on the world around you. There is evidence everywhere of the power of water; battered buoys, rusted chains, weathered docks and of course, driftwood.

battered dock



Part of our trip was also an effort to escape the effects of water….or should I say water damage. Two weeks ago our basement experienced some significant flooding thanks to a root growing through the sewer line. The bathroom and customer sitting areas are complete tear outs. All I can say is thank goodness for insurance. I am also relieved that the studios didn’t have any damage. Now the challenge is to make the area travelling to the studio safe as the construction process carries on. I definitely have my work cut out for the coming weekend trying to make the area workable.

This used to be a lovely laminate floor.

This used to be a lovely laminate floor.

What's left of the bathroom.

What’s left of the bathroom.