Portrait by the Frozen Lake

little-boy-by-a-frozen-lakeShooting outdoors early in the season presents both challenges and charms. Cooler temperatures, wind and rain can make for an interesting time to get the right shot. However the less than typical landscape of frozen lakes, grey skies and brown grass certainly can be eye-catching and lend a certain “realness” to the image. This session, on the edge of a frozen Alberta lake, was the perfect setting to capture relaxed images of this little guy.


Barrhead, Alberta (April 2013)

barrhead elevators Sometimes a little iffy weather does you a favor. We were hanging out at the cabin this weekend, Saturday morning gave us summery clear skies, but by the afternoon the wind arrived with a vengeance. We decided that if we were going to watch the wind blow we might as well go for a drive along the country roads surrounding our place. We didn’t really set out with a plan, and we saw a lot of cool stuff, but one thing we really didn’t focus on was the gas gauge. Now luckily we glanced down before it “dinged”, took a look at the GPS to figure out exactly where we were, and decided we definitely needed to pop into the closest town which just happened to be Barrhead.

I was thrilled to come across the grain elevators in the town. Grain elevators are sadly disappearing from the prairie landscape, so when I come across an elevator I always stop to shoot a few frames. It was well worth braving the gale force winds and driving rain to get the shot. After a quick fill up with gas we were back on our way to our cozy cabin.

“Yellow Hoody”

yellow hoody blog“Yellow Hoody” is another one of my Photoshop experiments. I needed something to work on while I pondered my next fibre art piece (the grand dilemma is cotton or silk) and thought about photography work that I should be doing. I figure at 11:00 pm it is okay to play rather than work.

This image is from a studio shoot on Saturday. I’ll share a few of the “proper” images in the very near future. I do think the simple studio background works very well with this style of manipulation. At the very least it is fun to have a play.

“Prairie Dawn” (2013)

"Prairie Dawn" 2013

“Prairie Dawn”

dimensions:  main section of stitched and beaded silk – 18.5″ x 10″
overall dimensions including mounting – 29″ x 14.5″

medium:  fibre art

materials: silk fabric, cotton fabric, wool yarn, cotton thread, bamboo thread, silk thread, glass beads, wire, jute, arbutus driftwood


“Prairie Dawn” is the ultimate “close to home” piece of art. The topic of the piece is a typical Alberta landscape complete with a straight horizon and patchwork fields. The natural fabrics and threads that form the piece have been dyed by hand in micro-batches of home-made dyes; and when I say micro, I mean micro….some of the batches are 2-3 feet of string….that’s it. The dyes have been made with tansy, strawberry, cranberry, blueberry, turmeric, marigold, arbutus bark, blackberry, cutch and madder. The marigold used as a dye stuff was harvested from my garden, the arbutus bark was collected from beneath our tree in our place in British Columbia, and the tansy was collected from ditches that run alongside fields just like those depicted in the piece. “Prairie Dawn” is mounted on a piece of arbutus driftwood suspended by wire reminding me of the barbed wire fences that criss-cross our local landscape. “Prairie Dawn” embraces the hand-made and home-grown attitude of early rural Alberta.

Beading detail in the rising sun.

Beading detail in the rising sun.

Beading and stitching detail in the fields.

Beading and stitching detail in the fields.



Blood Star

Blood StarI don’t often have the chance to play around with Photoshop, as it is a tool of my trade I find I use it to get the job done and that is that.  I was working through the middle of the night yesterday, trying to finish off a fibre art piece, and for some reason I sat down and started playing with Photoshop. Perhaps the theory was that doing something else would help me come up with a solution for mounting the piece. If that was the thought process, it certainly didn’t work. By 4:30 am there was still no solution for the fibre piece but I had created this pretty funky looking image of a blood star. I have to admit that having a chance to “play” on Photoshop was actually pretty fun.

The blood star was originally photographed at the beach on Bridges Road, on Pender Island, British Columbia. If you are interested in seeing the origins of the above image, they can be see in the blood star post on my other blog www.islandhomeblog.wordpress.com .

Updated Website

baby photography red deer 0305be

Well I finally tackled the item that has been on my “to do” list forever…..I updated my website. The website is www.thehuntergroup.ca . I had been avoiding it forever. I knew I wanted to add Studio H to the site, previously the site was only for Hunter Photographics, but I knew it was going to be a big job.

hunter photo 5x5 350 dpi borderfamily photography red deerstudio h 5x5 350 dpi border

It took me about an hour to figure out how to think like the website program and work out how the website was mapped out. Unfortunately once I figured it out I realized the whole site needed reworking.

Nasturtium 2010 30x36 cover

Nine hours and a reasonable amount of head shaking later the site was done. I still have a few bits to add in the near future. I also have the album sections to tackle; this will be a significantly time-consuming task of editing out old images and adding in new ones.

red deer wedding

Editing the albums is always interesting, I am always left saying “Wow, I’ve sure shot a lot of people.”.

red deer portrait of childrenTo check out the updated website, please visit www.thehuntergroup.ca .