In today’s post I am sharing a portrait order that I have just completed. This was an afternoon portrait in a local park. Afternoon is often a nice time to shoot younger families, as a shoot time after nap-time can provide for happy, rested children with smiles.
The parents wanted a relaxed session with images that were informal. They wanted to capture their kids “being kids”.
These images will definitely bring back memories of giggles, smiles and cuddles in the years to come.
Tonight was another great opportunity for food photography as we decided to make maki. This gave me the opportunity to again tweak the high-key lighting and I am pretty happy with how it is successful with a variety of dishes.
We are newbies at maki-making, this is actually only our second attempt ever; we still have a lot to learn. Tonight we did a cucumber maki and a salmon and mango maki. We may still have a way to go on the “pretty” front, but at least it was yummy.
Interestingly, our children love maki, even our two-year old. They aren’t exactly of the “Hamburger Helper” mindset, which is pretty great when you are their parents…..but it does mean we have to fight our 10-year-old for our fair share as he goes insane over any type of Japanese food.
The one bonus of making maki at home is that there is no fake grass adorning the food. Our children fight over who gets the fake grass. I have no idea what they plan to do with it, but for some reason it is this precious treasure.
Earlier this week I decided to tackle some previously dyed silk. I had originally dyed it with a project in mind, three pieces were even sewn together, but as I looked at the silk over the last few weeks it just looked weak to me. I didn’t want to abandon the project, or continue working with some really average looking fabric, so I decided to tackle the silk and see what happened.
The above piece is a bit over 3 feet long, it is actually 3 strips, originally dyed separately, then sewn together. The main problem with this piece was that the three strips looked too separate and just needed a little bit of unification. With this piece I rubbed frozen cranberries into a few spots then steamed the fabric and it created an interesting bleed over the original dyeing. I also did a random spattering of turmeric, then steamed the silk again, just to bring in a hint of yellow.
This piece of silk, when it was first dyed, had to be the ugliest and most depressing blue/purple/grey color I have ever seen. When I redyed it I chose to bundle it with tea, onion skins, whole frozen cranberries and turmeric….then did a little cranberry finger painting (or smushing) for good measure.
This piece of silk, originally dyed in strawberry, was rebundled with onion skins and then had cranberries smushed (technical term! LOL!) into the surface for a random patterning.
I am quite amused to look at the items used for coloring the fabric in this post. Almost all of the items used for dyeing have at one time or other completely wrecked one of my children’s pieces of clothing with a stain. I guess that is one way to know color will last, if stain remover and a washing machine can’t get rid of the color, the color is probably there to stay.
I have an upcoming food shoot and thought I would test drive the lighting in advance.
The shoot will be on location so the lighting had to be simple. The lighting also needed to be suited to a small space. In the end the most successful shots were high key with a slightly higher viewpoint.
I didn’t include a recipe this time as we just quickly put the pasties together. They simply consist of pie dough cut in a circle, filled with shredded cheddar cheese and carmelized onions, sealed then coated with egg wash, then baked. Yummy!