Mountain Ash Dyeing Project

I decided to try making dye out of mountain ash leaves as they are everywhere making it an easy to access dye stuff. I soaked the leaves for  few days, then boiled them up for a hour or so, then popped the fabric in the pot for about an hour. The fabric is muslin mordanted in alum. I folded and clamped the fabric hoping to get a bit of a design. I decided to aim for a bit darker color this time, so once I finished simmering the fabric in the pot I let it cool down , put the whole works in a ziplock baggie, and let it sit in the sun for two weeks. Very scientific! Unwrapped, rinsed and dried it gives a nice starting point for a fiber piece.The fabric measures 20 inches by 40 inches.

Advertisements